Letter to a Pen Pal- Original Writing
- Length: 332 words (0.9 double-spaced pages)
- Rating: Excellent
Letter to a Pen Pal- Original Writing
I am writing from a small cramped wooden slum. It’s on the pavement
next to a very busy road. I am in Bombay, Bombay is a bustling city
and there is too much pollution. Bombay is very congested,
Half of the population have no services or jobs; most people who live
in the slums make traditional cloth and clean them. Most people have
migrated from neighbouring towns, citys and countries. Like kuru where
the river was polluted which crippled the fishing trade. The main
reason that people moved away from kuru is the textile market for new
opportunities and jobs, because Bombay is the centre of commerce. Most
of the people who migrate live in rural areas.
I have seen up to eight people in one family living in a
tiny shanty with hardly any food or water. Every one in the shantys
work e.g clean clothes or make cloth. Even though there are over a
million shantys in India they are actually illegal but the police
don’t tend to do anything.
I get my food from the mahilamilan which means women
together, they teach us a class every week and we learn things like
maths and English. In turn me and many other children collect scrap
metal to sell, we give all are money to the mahilamilan so they can
How to Cite this Page
|The Essence of Life- Original Writing Essay - The Essence of Life- Original Writing Ahmed a 15 year old boy sits alone in his room, the silence lingers menacingly. Only broken by tears that fall from his eyes. He is sat with a pen and paper; he begins to write a letter to his father yet is aware that his father is dead. (A voice echoes the letter he writes) Voice: Father, I know you are there listening to me, watching us suffer constantly. God has given you freedom from this world, when will we get ours. We took your advice, we came to Britain but Khalif did not let Khalia go, he forced her to stay.... [tags: Papers]||1269 words|
| Writing and Technology Essay - Writing and Technology "The fact that we do not commonly feel the influence of writing on our thoughts shows that we have interiorized the technology of writing so deeply that without tremendous effort we cannot separate it from ourselves or even recognize its presence and influence (Ong, 317)." In this modern age of computers, disposable pens, and mechanical pencils, it is easy to forget that at one time writing was not so simple or convenient. Most of us have ". . . become so used to composing virtual prose at a keyboard .... [tags: Writing Technology Technological Papers]|
:: 3 Works Cited
| Creating a Writing Technolgy Essay - Creating a Writing Technolgy This paper is an analysis of the assignment given to "create" a writing technology. The attempt must be made to write a twenty (or fewer) word text using natural materials only, that is, materials that have not been processed, produced, or man-made. The goal is to create a writing technology that uses natural materials, that has permanence, that is legible, and finally, that is creative. I stumbled onto my "paper" when I found large pieces of bark that had fallen off tall trees on campus.... [tags: Invention Inventing Writing Essays]|
:: 3 Works Cited
| John Steinbeck's Experience and Writing Essay - At the age of thirteen, most children are still naïve to their future self-professions. However, in 1915, a boy at the mere age of thirteen was encouraged by his English teacher to become a writer (French 1). Unbeknownst to the teacher, the boy would arguably become a writer on equal terms to D.H. Lawrence, John Keats, or William Faulkner. The boy in question is John Steinbeck. Though Steinbeck’s era was a time of isolation and sorrow, between the economy and global conflicts the desperate times allowed many opportunities for Steinbeck.... [tags: Authors]|
:: 7 Works Cited
|Original Writing - I'm Pregnant Essay - I'm Pregnant- Original Writing- "Incomplete Esssay" Background Information:- Young girl of sixteen called Cathy has found out that she is pregnant; she has decided to break the news to her long term boyfriend named Conner who is seventeen. Cathy is very nervous about the situation as she does not know how Conner is going to react. Cathy has known she is pregnant for a week but it has taken her this long to build up the courage to say something. To make matters worse her parents come from a strongly religious Catholic background which means if she tells her parents she could face having no moral support as sex before marriage is not approved and abortions are... [tags: Original Writing Personal Narrative]||454 words|
| Essay about Horses as My Pen - Horses as My Pen When I was told that I had to develop a form of writing using solely nature, my initial reaction was a groan. Despite the fact that nature is abundant where I live--on a farm--is was the middle of winter and my creativity was definitely limited. Additionally, I actually felt lost that I couldn’t use a writing utensil, Dennis Baron was definitely right when he wrote, "We have a way of getting so used to technologies that we come to think of them as natural rather than technological.... [tags: Invention Writing Technology Papers]|
:: 5 Works Cited
| The Pen Essay - The Pen Mortality is a fact of life for everyone and has been since Creation. As humans, we have the intelligence to realize and understand this because we possess the ability to reason and to learn. This ability, when combined with the presence of Life that keeps us in existence, beckons us to secure the future in some way and for some reason(s). We need not only the chance at life beyond our own which comes with the birth of our children, but also to leave our own names, our own ideas and beliefs secured onto something more solid than the spoken word yet not as heavy as stone tablets.... [tags: Essays Papers]|
:: 4 Works Cited
| Original Writing Essay - Original Writing My writing as a poet has been heavily influenced by writers like Langston Hughes, Nikki Giovanni, Alice Walker and Slam poets such as Black Thought and the Last Poets. These writers write and speak about the struggles and uniqueness of Black culture. Their individual experiences and political stances as well as the influences of other artist are evident in their work. For example in Giovanni’s poem “Revolutionary Music” she quotes some of the lyrics from Sam Cooke and James Brown to illustrate her personal views on racism and the equal rights movements.... [tags: Plagiarism Influence Authors Argumentative Essays]|
:: 4 Works Cited
|Essay on Original Writing - Original Writing I looked out onto an ocean of glistening white snow, with its deceiving angelic like pureness, the view took my breath away and I had to steady myself as I felt slightly light headed. It was the perfect picture, although no camera would be able to capture its beauty, its essence.... [tags: Papers]||1968 words|
|Original Writing Essay - Original Writing A sharp rap on the door brought Herbert out of his daydream. "Come on," Frank shouted at the door, impatient to be off, "We've got to get down to the signing up post- there's already a huge crowd!" Herbert sat up straight; he had forgotten all about it. He grabbed his cap and boots on his way to the door where Frank and William, the twins from next door-but-one, were waiting. He flung open the door and leaned against the door frame to put his boots on. Frank was itching to get moving: he'd been waiting far too long to join the army (in his eyes, not his Ma's), all his older brothers had joined up long before.... [tags: Papers]||689 words|
Rural Areas Slums Maths Railway Clothes Textile Towns Week Electricity Half
buy food and water.
I am hoping soon that a shanty next to the railway will be come
available for me and my family to move into then we will be able to
have electricity, an upstairs and even a kitchen! I live in the
biggest slum in Asia, we have pits for toilets and water is only
available for one hour a day.
But we do go to school and we learn basically the same things as the
mahilamilan teach us. We work four times a week then we go to school
three times. My dad does work he rolls cigarettes and sells them from
our shanty and my mum roasts nuts on our fire but we just barely
scrape enough to buy food and supplies like clothes and wood
The government are supposed to be building more accommodation made of
brick and not wood, the city of Bombay is very modern and expensive
because the government spend all their money there but shanty towns
like Dharavi are the poorest in the country
I hope England is ok where do you live? And do you work often?
[IMAGE] I hope to see your reply soon
This is my home that is my dad going to
Fetch water for the family>>
Photo by lukas.b0 (Flickr)
Whether you are writing to a new friend or someone you have been writing to for years, it can be refreshing to throw in a few unexpected questions to keep it fresh and interesting, to keep the conversation going, and also to find out more about your pen pal. Slip these questions into your letter, or why not add in a separate little quiz for your penfriend to complete? If they’d like to, of course – but I’m sure they will!
- If your house was on fire, which three items would you save?
- What was your favourite toy as a child?
- What is your favourite animal?
- What is your favourite TV programme?
- What is the strangest or most awkward date you’ve ever been on?
- What are your biggest fears?
- Where would you most like to travel to, and why?
- Do you have any birthmarks?
- How tall are you?
- How do you spend your time when you are procrastinating?
- Do you have any bad habits?
- Are you religious?
- Do you like or dislike surprises?
- What has been your most memorable birthday so far, and why?
- When you were a child, what job did you see yourself doing as an adult?
- What’s your least favourite household chore or task?
- What is your favourite meal?
- What is your favourite drink?
- What is your favourite snack?
- What was your first pet?
- What would be your ideal way to spend a weekend?
- What has been your favourite holiday?
- What’s your favourite city in your country?
- Are you more introvert or extrovert?
- If you could invite any 6 people to a dinner party, who would you invite and why?
- What 3 items would you take to a desert island?
- What would you put in a time capsule?
- Who is your closest friend, and what do you love about them?
- What’s your favourite colour?
- Do you have a favourite quote?
- Have you ever done anything illegal?
- You’ve been granted three wishes – what would you wish for?
- Do you prefer humans or animals?
- What mobile phone do you have?
- What’s your favourite mode of transport?
- Do you drive? If so, what car do you have?
- Do you have a garden?
- What’s your favourite flower?
- What’s your favourite scent?
- Do you prefer to keep your nails long or short?
- What shoe size are you?
- What is your favourite thing about your home town?
- Do you like rides and rollercoasters?
- Would you ever do a skydive?
- What makes you feel happy?
- What was the last book you read?
- What is the best book you have ever read?
- Who is your favourite author?
- What are your hobbies?
- Do you enjoy dancing?
- Is there a food that you hate?
- What is your usual morning routine?
- Are you a ‘morning person’?
- Do you prefer tea or coffee?
- Do you have any allergies or intolerances?
- What was the last movie you watched?
- Do you play any sports?
- Do you drink alcohol?
- What are you most grateful for in life?
- Do you get along with your neighbours?
- What’s your favourite room in your house?
- What personality traits irritate you?
- Have you ever had a nickname?
- What’s your favourite season?
- What colour are your eyes?
- What is your favourite thing about yourself?
- What is your least favourite thing about yourself?
- Do you like your name?
- How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?
- Do you have any tattoos?
- Do you have any piercings?
- What music do you like?
- What is your favourite song?
- Do you like to cook?
- What is one fact about you that not many people know?
Craving even more questions to ask your pen pal? You’ll find 75 more, here!
Tags:letter, letter writing, Letters, pen pal, Pen pals, penpal, penpals