Below is an IELTS advantage / disadvantage model essay about having one language in the world. The essay is estimated at band score 9.
The development of tourism contributed to English becoming the most prominent language in the world. Some people think this will lead to English becoming the only language to be spoken globally.
What are the advantages and disadvantages to having one language in the world?
IELTS Advantage Disadvantage Model Essay
It is thought by some people that English, which is now the most widely spoken language in the world, may one day predominate over all other languages and result in their eventual disappearance. Having one language would certainly aid understanding and economic growth but there will also be some drawbacks.
One evident benefit to having one global language is that it would enable greater understanding between countries. In other words, if everyone spoke one language, there would be complete understanding between not only countries but all people throughout the world which would promote learning, the flow of information and ideas. Another reason that one language would be advantageous is that it would help economic growth. With all people speaking the same language, there will be less barriers and therefore trade would flourish between countries, resulting in a healthier world economy.
On the other hand, there are obvious disadvantages to having only one global language. Firstly, it would mean that all other languages would eventually disappear and, along with them, their cultures. The diversity of cultures is one of the joys this world has to offer. Each culture is unique with its own way of life and own perspectives of the world which would all be lost if there were only one language. Secondly, it would result in the collapse of tourism because there would be no reason to travel for pleasure and interest if all countries had the same language and similar cultures. This would devastate many countries economically that rely on tourism as a source of income.
In conclusion, while there are plus points to having one global language, too much would be lost as a result. Maintaining local languages and cultures should be prioritised to ensure a rich world heritage for future generations.
Comments: This sample answer addresses the task fully and provides relevant, well extended ideas. All aspects of cohesion is well managed. Vocabulary is flexible and there is a good range of complex sentence structures.
More IELTS Model Essays
Opinion Essay Model
Discussion Essay Model
Solution Essay Model
Direct Question Essay Model
All Writing Task 2 Models, Tips and Lessons
Main IELTS Pages
Develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free videos and more.
A city enjoys a position of pride for its rich amenities which are necessary for the modern way of life. A city life has its own glamour which attracts people from underdeveloped areas.
City life always lures the people of all classes for is comforts and for its cultural, economic and commercial facilities.
The advantages city life are mentioned below in points.
- A city has metalled roads with bus or train services for easy travelling.
- It supplies potable water through a network of pipelines and electricity to its residents.
- There is a sewerage system of drainage of waste water.
- There is an authority to look to the sanitation.
- There is normally a health centre with qualified doctors to attend to the ailing people.
- There are educational and possibly vocational institutions with facility for use of library.
- A city is normally a commercial centre.
The disadvantages of city life are mentioned below in points.
- Because of the surge in urban population, cities are now extremely congested,
- There has been multiplicity of motorized vehicles in city roads causing lots of traffic problems,
- City life is now spoiled by pollution – air, noise and water pollution.
- Sanitation is often neglected.
- Garbage piles up on roads.
- Dirty drains becomes the breeding grounds of mosquitoes.
Conclusion: Nowadays, rural development programs have been taken up in right earnest, yet the advantages of a modern city are far greater than those of the rural areas.