Books are a medium to transport us to another world. To anyone else, they may look like pages full of dull print, but to me, they open a door to a wondrous world of magic, mystery, wild imagination, legendary icons and ordinary heroes, adventure, love... all created through a fantastic interplay of words.
Being an only child, books have always been and will be, my best friends. They make me think about others' feelings and appreciate the world and its beings in a different light. Books intrigue me. They induce strong feelings in me and keep me on edge till the very end.
I'm a fan of fiction but I also read non-fiction. The pull for fiction comes from the fact the author builds an entire world that may not exist but seems very true when savoured through the words. I think that’s part of the reason. But books also engage me because of the fact that reality is sometimes too hard to handle and I find fictional characters much more friendly and appealing than those around me.
My parents would buy me books from when I was very young. Till the moment I die, I will be surrounded by books,books,books. And I do not think anyone needs a reason to read. It is a whole world always open to anyone willing to enter it.
What pains me is the fact that nowadays no one gives literature the importance it deserves. I have always relished reading and enjoy my language classes the most at school.
I think I mostly read sitting on the bed cross-legged with my book balanced on a pillow. You see, I tend to take good care of books, almost as if they have a life of their own. Even a tiny bend of the cover can get me real angry and I will do my best to restore it to normal. While reading, I tend to toss and turn or sit up according to the situation in the story.
There aren't many people in my family who go on reading like I do. Mom mostly buys me the books I want but when I put studies at stake, she turns furious. My cousin reads a bit on my compulsion but that is all. I remember she once called me 'Shakespeare'! I am not anywhere that good, but I want to read all the books I can before my last breath. So now, I will get going; I have got a book to read!
Aiswarya R., Class 12
Books play a significant role in our life. They say that “When you open a book, you open a new world”. I believe that everyone would agree with this statement as books have become inevitable to mankind. For the majority of people, books are part of their everyday life. A book is like a best friend who will never walk away from you.
Books are packed with knowledge, insights into a happy life, life lessons, love, fear, prayer and helpful advice. One can read about anything under the sun. Books have been here for centuries and without them today’s knowledge of our past ancestors, cultures and civilizations would have been impossible. Have you ever thought what would have happened if intellectuals never documented their studies?
On the 23rd of April the world celebrates the World Book Day. This day is a celebration of authors, illustrators, books and most importantly reading. The main aim of the World Book Day is to encourage children to the pleasures of books and reading. The reason for choosing this particular date is interesting. The 23rd of April is a symbolic date for world literature because it is the date of death for many great authors and poets such as William Shakespeare, Miguel de Cervantes, William Wordsworth and many others.
In my opinion reading is the perfect hobby and I am sure that a lot of people would agree. There are a lot of wonderful reasons why reading is important. Here are a few reasons why you should consider reading a book:
- To expose yourself to new thing: Through reading, you expose yourself to new things, new information, new ideas, new ways to solve a problem, and new ways to achieve a goal. Reading might help you discover hobbies or exploring things you didn’t know you like. Exploration begins from reading and understanding.
- To improve oneself: Reading helps you understand the world more. Through it, you begin to have a better understanding on a topic that interest you. Self-improvement start from reading, through reading you have a better understanding and better decisions to take in the future.
- To improve your understanding: The more you read the more you understand things completely and helps you find the truth about something. Through reading you learn more about society and how to adapt in it.
- To improve your imagination: You are limited by what you can imagine, all the worlds described in books as well as views and opinions by other people, will help you expand your understanding of what is possible.
- To reduce stress: Studies show that reading reduces stress. The participants in this study only needed to read silently for a few minutes to slow down the heart and ease tension in the muscles.
- To improve your memory: When you read you have more to think. Reading gives you a unique pause button for understanding and insight. The benefits of this increased activity helps to keep the memory sharp and the learning capacity agile.
- To entertain oneself: Reading has an entertainment value. Reading is not only fun, but it has all the added benefits that we discussed so far. A good book can keep you entertained while developing life skills.
A book communicates knowledge, and not only knowledge but wisdom of all kinds. They say that “The more you read, the more well-read you are”. In simple terms what this means is that the more you read the more exposed you are, your attitudes, your ideas and your imagination changes. I believe that my personality, behaviour, ideas and knowledge are all built on the books I have read. Nothing can add to our intellect more than reading a book.